Contact Us

07927 211 131

  • Key concepts of Intensive Driving Lessons

Key concepts of Intensive Driving Lessons



    So you’ve made the decision to learn to drive.

    According to the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) learners need an average of 47 lessons to pass the test.

    But, you don’t fancy months and months of weekly lessons to pass that elusive test at the end.

    Perhaps you need a car quickly as you are moving to an area with no public transport, having a baby or your job has changed and a car would be convenient.

    Whatever reason you want to learn quickly an intensive course may be the best option for you.


    However, the type of intensive course you enrol on depends on your starting point. For drivers with some previous experience - either up to 20 hours of lessons behind you or you already drive a moped - intensive courses are offered between 12 and 35 hours over a two week period. This is a crash course prior to taking the test.

    If you have never driven a car or moped before a 45-hour intensive driving course taken over two weeks will be the best option for you.

    This may sound like a daunting number of hours but this includes back-to-back classes over a short period meaning driving becomes second nature a lot quicker than a weekly class over six months or longer.

    The driving lessons are pretty much the same as they would be for conventional weekly lessons, with one-to-one tuition but the lessons will be focused on the aspects of driving which you find particularly daunting.

    It does however, need to be considered whether the format of an intensive course would be suitable for you. In an intensive course you may be driving for as many as five hours per day which is tiring and if you are new to driving a little overwhelming.

    If you are good at handling stressful situations and learn new skills quickly then this could very well be ideal for you.

    At the end of the course

    At the end of the intensive course you will have a fast-tracked practical test (further fees will apply). This test will be carried out by an independent government examiner who will be looking at your performance on the day.

    Before you enrol on an intensive training course you must have a Provisional UK driving licence, learner driver insurance if you are using your own car and have passed your theory test.
    Contact Julie Murphy’s Driving School to find out what intensive course would be best for you.